Dear Valued Customer,
We are writing to prewarn of the impact on deliveries during this summer’s Commonwealth Games. This is a major event across the West Midlands and our network partners at Palletforce are expecting service impact from now until the end of the games.
The primary venue is in Perry Barr on the north-west side of Birmingham City Centre. Road closures and disruption to access and deliveries are to be expected from this weekend onwards – there will be similar impacts to be expected at all venues as detailed below.
With the road closures and thousands of people travelling to Alexander Stadium, the area will be exceptionally busy. The Games organisers have asked us to pass on this general advice:
- Where possible do not travel within or through the area on the four ceremonies days (Sunday 24 July, Tuesday 26 July, Thursday 28 July and Monday 8 August).
- If you do need to travel within or through the area, please do so before 3pm.
- If travelling into Birmingham City Centre from the M6, please exit at Junction 6 and use the A38.
- If travelling into Birmingham City Centre from the M5, please exit at Junction 3 and use the Hagley Road.
- Please allow extra time for your journey, follow VMS and signage and instructions from marshals.
- Similarly there will be further restrictions in Birmingham City Centre with deliveries only being allowed to certain locations from 00:00 to 07:00. Deliveries to any such locations should be discussed directly with us on a POA basis during the games.
Please ensure you have checked the correct delivery instructions for any of the venues– it is likely that deliveries will be redirected to alternative storage locations, rather than direct to the venue. It will be your responsibility to ensure that the correct delivery addresses are used and additional charges may be incurred if this has not been checked beforehand and goods are unable to be delivered.
Timeline Of Events for the Games
- Monday 18th July to Thursday 28th July – Baton Relay around the West Midlands
- Friday 22nd July – Extensive road closure plan in place in and around Perry Barr
- Sunday 24th July and Tuesday 26th July – Rehearsals for Opening and Closing Ceremonies – will impact with extensive road closures in and around Perry Barr
- Thursday 28th July – opening ceremony
- Friday 29th July to Monday 8th August – Games
- Monday 8th August– Closing Ceremony
- Closures and disruption likely to continue around the venues until Wednesday 10th August
Venues & Postcodes Impacted
All venues involved with the games are listed below with the corresponding postcode sector that will be impacted during the games, if you have any deliveries to the below postcode areas during the dates listed above please check with your contact that your customer will be able to accept delivery.
Alexander Stadium, Perry Bar
B42, 43, 44
Arena Birmingham, Birmingham
Cannock Chase Forest, Rugeley
Coventry Stadium/Arena, Coventry
Edgbaston Stadium, Edgbaston
The NEC, Solihull
Sandwell Aquatics Centre, Smethwick
Sutton Park, Sutton Coldfield
University of Birmingham, Selly Oak
Victoria Park, Leamington Spa
Victoria Square, Birmingham City Centre
Myton Fields, Warwick
West Park, Wolverhampton
There may also be disruption at the Athletes Villages at the University of Birmingham, University of Warwick and the Metropole Hotel, NEC.
Lee Valley Velopark, London
Please can you communicate the information to all your customers to ensure they are prepared and ready to assist to manage any disruption as a result of the Games. Our network partners have advised they will not be making any alterations to the services available to postcodes, however there will inevitably be some disruption throughout the period.
We will continue to update over the next few weeks and communicate any further changes to the above that we are made aware of.
Many thanks for your support, if you require any further assistance please do not hesitate to contact us.