Whether you already send pallets through a network or if you are new to sending pallets for delivery or distribution, here are a few tips and pallet presentation guidelines to help you prepare the pallet and ensure that it is safe and cost effective to send.
Why Should I Prepare My Pallet Correctly?
Depending on the type of journey your pallet needs to take to reach its destination, your pallet may be trans-shipped (placed off one truck and on to another, etc.) a few times. Of course at C&D we pride ourselves on reducing trans-shipment.
During the trans-shipment process damage may occur, and though incredibly rare, when it does occur it is often due to inadequate packaging and preparation. So preparing your goods for pickup and delivery can keep your customer happy.
- Always use a pallet that is strong in construction and suitable for the type of goods you wish to carry on it.
- If you need a tail-lift truck at either pickup or delivery points ensure you use a pallet that is accessible on all 4 sides so any trolley trucks can be used.
- Do not use pallets that missing boards or chocks
- The objective of pallet packaging is to secure the goods to the pallet base and safeguard any goods.
- Firstly ensure that boxes or goods are not overhanging the pallet base.
- Make sure that heavier boxes are packed at the bottom then use cardboard sheets between each layer to avoid movement during transit.
- Shrink wrap the pallet and goods together using either basic film wrap, heat shrink wrap or banded with strapping.
- You may wish to put a cardboard or bubble wrap layer around the whole pallet before wrapping if you believe extra protection is needed.
- If your pallet needs to stand out at delivery point stick a large A4 branded stickers on to further promote your brand.
- you are using liquid pallets for transportation ensure you check each one for breakages or joint fractures every six months.
- the pallet (speak to our team for advice on what you should provide) and check the consignment description.
- Do not overload your pallet and check our pallet dimensions to ensure you are within the relevant weight limits.
- Always ensure pallet weights and dimensions are accurately stated when booking.
For more information regarding pallet presentation, please do not hesitate to contact us.